Director of Communications
TorchLight seeks a Director of Communications for a strategic health communications and education company in Montgomery County, MD. The Director is responsible for the strategy and execution of multi-channel communication plans for federal and private clients, including advertising, social media, content marketing, PR, events, and more. He or she is also responsible for leading a team of communications professionals. Qualified candidates must have experience working in or with a federal government organization/client.
- Drive strategic planning, core messaging, and positioning for traditional and digital media channels.
- Develop and manage communication plans that build awareness and support among target audiences.
- Set departmental work priorities, manage schedules, and maximize team performance.
- Develop website and social content to grow audience reach and engagement.
- Oversee reporting of key web performance metrics to evaluate and refine tactics.
- Create press releases, backgrounders, talking points, media advisories, & press kits.
- Maintain a media monitoring service and create monthly analytics reports.
- Develop press angles aligned with key campaign messages and marketing initiatives.
- Oversee media relations activities including building and managing media relationships, coordinating media interviews, and getting press coverage.
- Conduct formative research, analyze results, and prepare reports for clients.
- Provide media and crisis communication training for clients.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience with 3+ years in government contracting or an agency that services government clients.
- Strong project management skills with ability to work simultaneously on multiple time-sensitive projects.
- Expert verbal and written communication abilities.
- Excellent management skills.
- Experience in media and crisis communication training is preferred.
- Bachelor’ s degree required; MPH or other Master’ s level degree is preferred.