Media Relations Director
11921 Freedom Drive, Ste. 300 Reston, Virginia 20190 | Permanent
TorchLight seeks a Director of Media Relations for a Non-Profit organization based in Reston. This role is responsible for developing the organization’ s media and communications strategy and outreach.
- Develop and execute the organization’ s overall communications and media strategy
- Drive strategic planning, core messaging and positioning across traditional and digital channels
- Oversee global media relations activities including media relationships, maintaining a media monitoring service and media databases, maintaining an online newsroom, development of press materials, coordinating media interviews, monthly analytics reporting, development and writing of press releases, and coordinating media and public events
- Responsible for crisis communications process and public policy communications support
- Serve as external spokesperson for the organization and provide media training for senior leadership
- At least 10-12 years of experience in journalism or a media relations/public affairs function
- Excellent writing, editing, presentation, and grammatical skills
- Familiarity with relevant tools, including media monitoring and press release distribution systems
- Ability to focus and work in fast-paced, dynamic, team-oriented office environment
- Ability to travel domestically and globally if required (up to 10%)
- Bachelor’ s degree in journalism, communications or related field and MBA is desired.
TorchLight is the only search and staffing firm dedicated solely to placements in the DC metro area in marketing, digital and creative for contract, contract-to-hire, and permanent roles across a variety of industries area.
At TorchLight, we know the recruitment and hiring process— and the DC metro area job market inside and out. More importantly, we know marketing and creative, because all of our account managers and recruiters have deep subject matter expertise prior to their tenure at TorchLight.
In 2016 and 2017, Inc. Magazine’ s Inc 5000 ranked TorchLight as one of the 5, 000 fastest-growing private companies in America. In 2017 and 2018, TorchLight was recognized as one of the DC area' s Best Places to Work by the Washington Business Journal.
Learn more at http://jobs.torchlighthire.com/.