Sr. Director, External Communications
7525 Colshire Dr. McLean, Virginia 22102 | Permanent
TorchLight seeks an External Communications Team Lead for a technology company in McLean, VA. Candidates will be responsible for developing and executing the organization’ s public relations and external communications strategy, working closely with the Director and Executive team, communications team members and many cross-functional stakeholders.
- Collaborate with Directors and Officers to lead communications strategy, planning, and execution in alignment with business priorities and brand strategy
- Think creatively and critically to drive development of simple, integrated, and elegant approaches to complex strategic communications issues involving highly technical, complex subject matter
- Act as trusted communications advisor and help team advance and manage strategic communications plans across channels
- Support priority programs in building strategic public/private partnerships that help shape reputation
- Develop strategies, campaigns, and assets that support key sponsor programs
- Generate ongoing, opportunistic public relations outreach in key markets
- Oversee media tours positioning the company’ s capabilities and priority programs
- Identify and pursue editorial calendar opportunities and create pitches as needed
- Oversee development and implementation of all media support materials (e.g., press kits, backgrounders, press releases, fact sheets, bios, etc.)
- Serve as media relations contact in all markets
- Identify and prepare approved spokespeople for media interviews
- Manage communications team
- At least 10+ years demonstrated success in public relations or external communications position
- Ability to develop strong, compelling stories about complex, technical topics
- Expert in art of media relations and crisis communications
- Proven experience building thought leadership programs for a variety of senior executives and high-profile programs
- Collaborative leader who inspires his/her team and garners credibility with internal and external stakeholers
- Strong problem-solving skills and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Deep media relationships and ability to deliver proactive stories and manage issues
- Must have experience directly supervising senior level executive communication needs
- Prior agency and corporate experience a strong plus
- Bachelor’ s degree in communications, journalism, or related field required, Master’ s degree a plus
- Possess SECRET clearance or ability to obtain
TorchLight Hire is the Washington, D.C. region’ s premier search and staffing firm placing marketing, communications, digital and creative professionals in contract, contract-to-hire, and permanent roles across a variety of industries in the DC metro area.
At TorchLight, we know the recruitment and hiring process— and the DC metro area job market inside and out. More importantly, we know marketing and communications, with team members who have deep subject matter expertise prior to their tenure at TorchLight.
In 2016 and 2017, Inc. Magazine’ s Inc 5000 ranked TorchLight No. 621 and 2386 respectively as one of the 5, 000 fastest-growing private companies in America. In 2017, TorchLight was recognized in 2017 as one of the DC area' s Best Places to Work by the Washington Business Journal. Learn more at http://jobs.torchlighthire.com/.